Friday, October 2, 2015

Catalina and Wine Mixed Together

Flashback Friday! Let me take you back to the end of August, when I visited the nearby island of Catalina, drank lots of wine, and also zip-lined my way across the hills of the resort island with mom.


We arrived after an hour long ferry ride (and two glasses of champagne), and decided it was time for lunch (and wine). We ate outside, facing the water, and realized we still had two hours to kill before our zip-line reservations!



I had never been to Catalina, mainly because the ferry ride is too expensive, but I was surprised to discover how the island balances being a nature reserve as well as a resort town. Santa Catalina Island is 75 square miles and is the largest of the Channel Islands, or so says Wikipedia. Once entirely owned by gum magnate William Wrigley, Jr. from 1919 onward, it was eventually donated to the Catalina Island Conservency in 1975, and now 90% of the island is protected from being developed. The remaining portion of the island is the two towns, Avalon in the south, and Two Harbors in the north.


Anyway, time for zip-lining! This is a view of Avalon from the bus just as we arrived at the first post. The Catalina Zip Line Eco Tour is made up of five zip lines and offers some great views of the island along the way.


In this wonderful panorama you can see the starting point on the far right, with the first and longest zip-line going all the way to that small wooden structure in the center of the picture.


Here I am casually posing in all my gear. The zip-line tour was a great break from all of the hours I had recently clocked in promoting the dog walking company I work for, but also gave me a nice retreat from LA in general. It's just nice not to worry about planning my day around rush hour!


After our zip-line tour, we headed to the nearest bar for happy hour, and then to a gift shop for some souvies. I talked my mom into buying me a cheese plate for my apartment that said Catalina on it, it's the best. I fell asleep on the ferry ride home, because drinking all that wine was exhausting. Here's Adam Scott ending my post with a reference I don't understand.



No comments:

Post a Comment